Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pick-Pockets and Hacked Facebook Accounts[WARNING: POST CONTAINS SOME MILD LANGUAGE AND ILLITERATE HACKERS TRYING TO SELL SEXY STUFF]

      So, my wallet was stolen this past Sunday.
      I was walking out of a restaurant and putting my wallet back into my backpack when it happened. Some crafty mutt with a two-bit agenda took my wallet that had basically all of my video-game/fooding/movies/activities-that-take-place-outside-of-my-house-money inside of it.  It doesn't look like I'll be very busy this month.
Y'know, except for finals, those are kinda important.

Another misfortune that befell me this week was that my Facebook Account was hacked(while I was in the middle of class, nonetheless). Somebody thought it would be generous to write

[WARNING: MILDLY EXPLICIT CONTENT]









"free handjobs i have nudes for 5$"

Now, what bothered me most about this post was not what bothered my mother most about this post, or my boyfriend most about this post.* What bothered me most about this post was the fact that they decided to put the '$' after the '5', the uncapitalized 'i' and the total lack of basic gramar skills.  I mean, they tried to make this a believable post on the page of the girl who corrects the spelling and grammar of graffiti** Anyway, I got the offending post removed, issued a generic "I'm sorry, but it wasn't actually me" post and got a few replies the fell along the lines of "we could tell it wasn't you".

I got one reply that really stood out to me, though, about the reason I had been hacked in the first place-

"Oh, people like to do things like this. Basically, it's the online equivalent to the dumbass that draws a penis on the bathroom stall and snickers to themselves in satisfaction, thinking they're being such a badass."
Besides making me laugh(and be grateful to have such amazing friends) it made me realize that even though a lot of the people around me were panicking*** and I had to change my password - it wasn't that bad. It was even kind of funny. If I had given in and freaked out, or I felt bad because somebody somewhere was being stupid and looking for a negative reaction, I'd be giving them exactly what they wanted, but by laughing, I was gaining something for myself - a healthy sense of humor and a slightly more secure password.

Another thing that came of this is the ongoing "naked stick figures drawings" and "baby pictures" jokes. The only nudes I can draw are stick-people and the only nudes I have of myself are from when I was under a year old. Oh well, people are strange.
~AG


*She was worried that my foreign friends were hacking me, or that I had given someone my password. My beau was worried that colleges would think ill of me. I was worried I'd get laugh lines.

**I'm not joking, I'll upload a picture later to post here.

***MOM


PS-The rest of my Facebook is basically a Virginity Shield, so I don't see how anyone would mistake the hacked post for something I would write.
I'm serious-
My page is-
Batman
Batman
Beatles
Doctor Who
Zombies
No Butter in Hell
Marvel
Calvin and Hobbes
Big Bang Theory
Batman
HALO etc. It's just illogical.

No comments:

Post a Comment